NOGDUS $1670.00 has been donated to NOGDUS!
September 20, 2017, 08:29:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wings 3D Tutorial: How to model terrain Part I  (Read 7703 times)
Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »

Wings 3D Tutorial: How to model terrain Part I

Welcome to part I of my tutorial on how to create terrain using the free 3D modeling package called Wings 3D.

I will detail every single step that I take with screen-shots unless I am limited by my software from doing so, in which case I will do my best to detail the step with text here.
Because there are very many steps involved, you can expect this page to take quite some time to load if you are on a slow connection.

The images are very large, so click on them to see them full-size if you cannot see clearly the scaled images that my forum uses.

Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:22:51 PM »

First thing, you should arrange your windows like mine.
I've got the Geometry, Geometry Graph, and Outliner windows displayed and laid out like the image below.

I clicked the Hide ground plane, and Hide axes buttons at the top right to display the grid and axes like this:

Now, right click in the Geometry window to bring up the object creation menu, and click the box next to the Grid menu choice.

Enter 23 into the box that appears, and then click on the OK button:

We want to be able to see our entire model, so we use the View -> Frame menu option:

Here we go:

Now, using the left-mouse button, click to select some faces like below.
Don't worry, you don't have to be exact. (and a note, the number of selected faces in the screen shot is wrong because I inadvertently selected the back edge faces by accident, and I had to de-select them before the next step)

We are going to save a Selection Group in case we want to reselect like we did above if we make any mistakes, and need to undo things. Use the Select -> New Group... menu option for this:

Enter Level One into the box that appears, or well, you can name it whatever you want, but since it is the first-level selection, I chose Level One:

Right-click in the Geometry window to bring up the face operations menu, and choose the Move -> Y menu choice:

This step I could not take a screen shot of.
Press the TAB key on your keyboard to enter a value manually. I entered a value of 0.6 in order to get to the following screen:

Use the Select -> Deselect menu choice to de-select all the selected faces:

Using the left-mouse-button, click and select some of the faces on our new upper-level to be raised:

Again, we save our selection group:

And enter Level Two for the name:

Right-click and do the Move -> Y menu choice again:

Again, using the TAB key on your keyboard to enter the value 0.6 manually:

De-select again:

Select a few more upper-level faces to be raised:

Save your selection group again:

Level Three is the name I chose:

Another Move -> Y menu choice:

Yep, you guessed it. Hit TAB on your keyboard and enter the value 0.6 manually.

Now, use Select -> All Faces menu choice:

You can see that we now have selected all of the faces of the model:

We now need to de-select the under-side face (biggest face of the model) and the outer edge faces.
You will need to rotate around your model using the mouse. I could not take screen shots of all the rotation.
Once you have rotated all over, and to get back to the same orientation we were in,
press the R key on your keyboard, and then View -> Frame to be able to see your model again.

I de-selected the outer edge faces all around the model, that way there is a 1-face gap between the edge of the model, and the selected faces:

Save the selection group:

I chose Usable Scene for the name.

We should have saved many times already, but I wasn't thinking.
Use File -> Save menu choice:

Enter the file name for your model:

Let's smooth things out so that we have a lot of nice detail:

De-select everything and go save your model one more time.
(From now on, I will assume you are saving after each step)

Thats all for part I. Stay tuned for Part II where I go into Texturing your model.
Thanks for reading! I hope that my tutorial helps you! POST FEEDBACK! Cheesy

Tags: Wings 3D Tutorial tutorial modeling how to 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: