NOGDUS $1670.00 has been donated to NOGDUS!
September 20, 2017, 08:14:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wings 3D Tutorial: How to model terrain Part II  (Read 7849 times)
Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:42:34 PM »

Wings 3D Tutorial: How to model terrain Part II

Welcome to part II of my tutorial on how to create terrain using the free 3D modeling package called Wings 3D.

If you have not already read part I, you need to go do that now, otherwise you will have trouble following along.

I am going to be covering how to texture the terrain model that we created in Part I.

I will detail every single step that I take with screen-shots unless I am limited by my software from doing so, in which case I will do my best to detail the step with text here.
Because there are very many steps involved, you can expect this page to take quite some time to load if you are on a slow connection.

I will first post the images here, and then edit my post with explanation text.
The images are very large, so click on them to see them full-size if you cannot see clearly the scaled images that my forum uses.

(This is a STUB post; I'm currently working on the content of Part II -- stay tuned)

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:53:58 AM »

Okay, starting with the model where we left off in Part I, we are going to enter an Orthogonal view on the positive Y axis. De-select everything.
Easy way to do this is press the Y key on your keyboard, followed by the O key.
You should see this:

Now, using Select -> All Faces to select ..well, all faces; we will now create a UV mapping by right-clicking and selecting the UV Mapping -> Direct menu choice as you can see below:

An AutoUV UV Editor window will appear: (I repositioned my window for the screen shot)

Press the R key on your keyboard, followed by the View -> Frame menu choice in the AutoUV window, so that we can see our entire model.
Now, select these faces so we can temporarily make them disappear:

Now that we have those faces selected, right-click and use the Ignore Faces menu choice:

Presto! The selected faces are now ignored. They are still part of the model, but they are not part of the UV Mapping anymore:

Select all faces again, and right-click and click the AuvChart1 menu choice to assign the yellowish UV chart to the model. (You could technically use any of the charts, but I chose Chart1, so for you to follow along without getting confused, you should too.)

Your UV Mapping should look like this now:

Like in the first step of this part of the tutorial, press Y followed by O on your keyboard to get a nice clean top-view of our model:

Right-click and use the Continue -> Projection Camera menu choice:

We now have a UV Mapping (finally) but we still need to do a few more things to be able to really texture our model.

De-select all faces again, right-click and hit the only menu option called Create Texture:

Pick 1024x1024 for your texture size if you're following my tutorial to the letter.
Click options for the Background; and set the color to black.
Click options for the Draw Edges; and set the color to a shade of dark blue.
(doesn't matter really..in fact its useless since we are going to just copy/paste a texture later)
Click the OK button:

Looks like this now:

Close the AutoUV window now that we are finished setting up our UV Mapping.
Right-click on the grid1_auv Texture (Materials have the little M next to them, textures have a checker board) in the Outliner window and click the Rename menu option:

I chose Terrain_Texture for the name of my ...terrain texture Cheesy

Now, go rename the grid1_auv Material:

Call it Terrain_Material to be consistent:

Now we will edit the material:

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:56:46 AM »

Use the sliders to kill the Specular (this is what makes your model look retarded like plastic..not good for a terrain rendering. I also pulled the Ambient brightness down a little:

I didn't have textures displayed, so here is where to go to turn them on:

Now, our model can be seen with the texture applied:

Here is where many people get confused.
We need to make the texture External so that the texture is referenced from an external image file:

Enter a file name for your texture file:

Okay, now go open up your texture file in your favorite image editor (I use GIMP) and then create your texture.
I created the texture that I'm using along with a tutorial on how to make the texture in GIMP.
Once you have edited your texture, and SAVED it (has to remain same file name for this to work)

Back in Wings 3D, we will Refresh the texture, and since it is External, it will re-load the new texture data from the file on your computer:

And this is what you will get next:

Hit R and View -> Frame to view your model as we've done so many times already:

Enable the use of Scene Lights:

Suddenly the model goes black!
Don't worry, we will be adding our own light to the scene and it will come back better than ever!
What you will see with no lights in the scene, and Scene Lights turned on:

Add an Ambient Light using the right-click menu:

Edit the light we just added:

For a nice normal Sunlight, use these settings:

There we go! I told you our scene would be back!
The Ambient light that we added has breathed life back into our scene:

Clicking the left-most button at the top, I toggled the flat-shading off to smooth things out,
and I used the upper-right buttons to turn off the ground plane and axes:

Dollying and Tracking and Panning the camera with the mouse, I positioned my scene in a good spot for rendering:

Thats all for part II.
Thanks for reading! I hope that my tutorial helps you! POST FEEDBACK! Cheesy

Keranu

Respect: 10
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:38:34 AM »

Wow, great final product! Thanks for the awesome guide! Is it possible to create similar results with Anim8or?
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:47:44 AM »

Wow, great final product! Thanks for the awesome guide! Is it possible to create similar results with Anim8or?
Actually, you can achieve better results easier with Anim8or.
Perhaps I'll put together a tutorial, but for now, it should be easy enough to follow the general steps in anim8or. Of course the commands are different, but its easy.
Texturing in Anim8or is SOOOOooooo much nicer.

Keranu

Respect: 10
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »

What exactly made you decide to use Wings 3D instead? I've never uesd it before myself.
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:57:32 AM »

What exactly made you decide to use Wings 3D instead? I've never uesd it before myself.
I used to have a copy of Nendo, and Wings 3D is similar.
I had found Wings 3D before Anim8or.
Anim8or doesn't run in Linux, and it runs poorly in a virtual machine.

Take your pick for a reason Cheesy

Don't get me wrong, I do love Anim8or, and if I really need to, I can boot an old desktop to windows XP or 98 and make use of it.

Wings 3D is the nicest that I've been able to find that runs on Linux.
Maya is available, but I don't have enough to buy a new license for 7 unlimited...and I hate that AutoDesk bought out Alias.
K3D is a fun program, but it locks up a lot, and I don't want to be in the middle of a large model and lose it.

Wings 3D has a lot more powerful modeling capabilities than people give it credit for.
There are some things to learn about how models in wings are ALWAYS, ALWAYS a Solid Form, (you cannot have a 2 sided polygon for one)
The renderer in Wings 3D is NOT great, but its usable enough for simple things.
Anything that I need a better render for I can export a POVRay scene and get hyper-realistic renders.

Tags: Wings 3D Tutorial tutorial modeling how to 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: