NOGDUS $1670.00 has been donated to NOGDUS!
June 23, 2017, 01:55:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DirectX Game Engine  (Read 3853 times)
Regretfulone
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:14:02 PM »

So I have decided to put my efforts into creating a game engine that will start up everything required for a DirectX program for a standard Win32 program. As soon as I get some progress with it I shall post up a test version of it. Of course I will post a final tested version when that happens. Wish me luck!
Regretfulone
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:13:56 PM »

Well...I just finished my first attempt at creating this game engine and came up with over 130 errors.. - - obviously I'm doing something wrong so it's back to the books and drawing board ha ha. Well I think I'm off to bed for the night because my head hurts XD I shall continue my efforts tomorrow
Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »

Hehe..

Yeah DirectX is a royal pain to get working properly.

I wish you luck with your project. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Smiley

Regretfulone
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:22:08 PM »

Hehe..

Yeah DirectX is a royal pain to get working properly.

I wish you luck with your project. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Smiley

ok thanks! yeah I think I know what my problem is though. It has to do with the fact that I tried modeling it after a Windows GDI-based game engine I learned based off another book but I think the book I am working from currently will help a ton. It is all based off DirectX programming and learning game programming so this project might be put on hold for me to learn some more before I attempt it again.
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 03:05:47 AM »

ok thanks! yeah I think I know what my problem is though. It has to do with the fact that I tried modeling it after a Windows GDI-based game engine I learned based off another book but I think the book I am working from currently will help a ton. It is all based off DirectX programming and learning game programming so this project might be put on hold for me to learn some more before I attempt it again.

Okay man, good luck!
I'm here to help in any way that I can.
Whats the title of the DirectX book you are reading? If I have it (very likely) then I will be able to help you a lot better. And if not, then I'll get it so I can help you out. Cool

Regretfulone
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:21:37 PM »

Okay man, good luck!
I'm here to help in any way that I can.
Whats the title of the DirectX book you are reading? If I have it (very likely) then I will be able to help you a lot better. And if not, then I'll get it so I can help you out. Cool

The book is called Beginning Game Programming, Second Edition it doesn't specifically say it focuses on DirectX when you first pick it up but after it briefly talks about Windows Programming it goes into DirectX Programming pretty quickly while also teaching you game stuff along the way. So far I've only worked on graphics. There is also DirectInput and DirectSound haha and I haven't learned those yet which is why I'm putting the project on hold for the time being haha
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:37:33 PM »

The book is called Beginning Game Programming, Second Edition it doesn't specifically say it focuses on DirectX when you first pick it up but after it briefly talks about Windows Programming it goes into DirectX Programming pretty quickly while also teaching you game stuff along the way. So far I've only worked on graphics. There is also DirectInput and DirectSound haha and I haven't learned those yet which is why I'm putting the project on hold for the time being haha

Hmm I have the first edition of that book, but I don't have the 2nd.
It might be mostly the same then again it might be vastly different.
But in any event, if you have any questions, then toss them my way and I will do my best to answer them. Smiley

Regretfulone
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 08:24:19 PM »

yeah ok I will ha ha I am kinda pissed cause I ran into an issue I have to figure out. My CollisionTest game isn't initializing haha XD so I have to try and figure that out. I spent 20 mins already and walked away from it for now. Maybe I'll figure it out when I look over it again.
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »

yeah ok I will ha ha I am kinda pissed cause I ran into an issue I have to figure out. My CollisionTest game isn't initializing haha XD so I have to try and figure that out. I spent 20 mins already and walked away from it for now. Maybe I'll figure it out when I look over it again.

Let me know if you need help.

Tags: game  engine  direct 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: