NOGDUS $1670.00 has been donated to NOGDUS!
June 23, 2017, 01:56:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zombie Shooter  (Read 3050 times)
kingthomas

Respect: 10
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:16:55 AM »

I'm currently working on a zombie shooter in XNA in order to develop my skills so I can develop a hopefully winning entry for the 2010 Imagine Cup. The basic idea is to make a large room filled with zombies that flock and converge on the player from all directions. The player must shoot zombies to slow them. Only a head shot will kill them, as their bodies are utterly worthless to them anyways.

Basically this is for me to learn basic 3D rendering and animation in XNA and to practice some basic AI techniques that will be necessary for my RTS/simulation game.

I'll do my best to post everyday to keep everyone up-to-date on my project.
kingthomas

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:49:52 AM »

I got some basic rendering up and running, but lighting is really horrible, so I either get a plastic zombie, or DOOM-like 2D looking graphics.

Richard is helping me by doing much of the art, including the bullet model and the room model. The bullet looks great and I'm sure the room will too. He also came up with a great name, "Die Already!" Apparently, he had been making a film with this name, but scrapped it when "...the flood of zombie flicks starting showing up (28 days later and the like ruined zombie flicks for [him])" I think this name is highly appropriate since I plan on making the zombies very difficult to kill. Tomorrow I hope to fix the lighting issue and start on animation.
Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »

Richard is helping me by doing much of the art, including the bullet model and the room model. The bullet looks great and I'm sure the room will too.

Hey, OK, so the warehouse is not working out.
Not to mention I think that it would be a bad idea to do the level geometry as a standard model.

But I am looking for a solution for you.
Gimme some time.
No promises, but I'll see what I can do. I just downloaded 3400MB of diff programs to try out.
Unfortunately they're windows apps...so I gotta reboot into vista Roll Eyes yuck..
gah the things I do for people I swear!

kingthomas

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »

Wow, thanks a lot. Don't know what I would do without your help. You'll definitely be in the credits, lol.
kingthomas

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 03:17:06 AM »

Richard and I made good enough level model, at least for now. I learned how to use the skinned mesh in XNA, which will allow me to easily animate a zombie. Due to the file type and such, I think I'm going to try to find a new zombie. I also added camera movement. I have no screenshot, unfortunately, since I have not finished implementing the animation code.

Tomorrow I hope to finish this animation code and start on allowing the zombie to switch animations. Maybe I'll even get to collision and shooting.
kingthomas

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »

Seems this project is going to be put on hold for a little. I'll get back to it as soon as I have some skills in art, as I will need to make my own.

This will likely be months, but I hope I can get back to it.
Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 03:42:13 PM »

You can always let me know what you need, and I can see what I can do.
Good news.
I have a way to get online more often.
Not as much as I used to, but my cousin apparently lives 3 blocks from my house in TX.
And she said that I can use her net anytime.
So when I am not looking for work, and I can, I'll be here at her house using her net.
If you don't catch me on IRC, use the Forum PM to give me details on what you need.

kingthomas

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:56 PM »

I think I'm going to come back to this as I prepare for the Solar Express Game.
Going to finish with the art that I currently have. Just going to have non-animated zombies.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: