NOGDUS $1670.00 has been donated to NOGDUS!
June 29, 2017, 05:52:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiny Dungeon Game Project  (Read 8027 times)
Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »

Tiny Dungeon Game Project

Started working on this little game today.

The concept is very simple.

You take control of a magic staff wielding druid who seeks the ultimate power.
The ultimate power is locked deep inside the dungeon.
There are fireball tossing wizards, locked doors, and magic portal puzzles that block the way to the ultimate power.

You must seek the keys to unlock the doors to advance through the levels of the dungeon.
You must kill the wizards before they can kill you.
You must navigate the magic portals to reach the areas of the dungeons.

You control your druid using the WASD or arrow keys and attack using the spacebar.
You can have your druid commit convenient character suicide to restart the current dungeon level by pressing R.
Your druid will cast a lightning bolt spell in the direction he is facing.
The lightning bolt spell will continue until it hits a wall or a wizard.

Wizards will hurl a fireball at you if you happen to cross their line of sight.
Wizards will roam the dungeon level.

You start with a point score of 1000. Every move that you make reduces that score by 5 points.
Every Wizard that sees you will reduce your score by (score points remaining / number of wizards in the level).
Every key that you collect gains you 25 points.
Your remaining health and magic points are added and multiplied by the current dungeon level and added to your final score.

Casting lightning spells uses up your magic points.
Every portal that you use refills your magic points.
Every dungeon level you complete adds ten to your maximum magic points, and 20 to your health points.

Fireballs that hit you will take off (dungeon level * 5) points from your health points.
Completing a dungeon level restores your health points to maximum.

The game runs at 320x240 for an old-school retro feel.
I might scale the game screen x2 and center it on 800x600, but for now its just straight 320x240.
I'm using C++ and Allegro for this project.
The graphics are black and white right now, however I might go gray scale if I find its too difficult to see what is going on.
I'll post a playable demo in the near future.

For now, here is a screen shot.

And scaled up x2 so you can see it better.

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »

An early screen shot of the in-game map editor Cool

Mattias Gustavsson

Respect: 58
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »

This is a nice little project Richard! I like how you start off with a clear design - I bet that will make it much easier to implement too. Very cool that you're making an in-game map editor - those are really great for doing rapid iterations over your levels.

I like the monochrome look. I've been experimenting a bit with a new retro filter for emulating old monochrome screens, and here's what your gfx would look like with that (though cropped to fit forum image-size restrictions  Tongue )

And here's what it would look like inverted:

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:05:25 PM »

Thanks Mattias! Its a small project, but its large enough to be filled with a lot of tasks lol.
The #1 thing that interrupts the development of this game is my chaotic work schedule. Tongue
Then there are the typical distractions like chat.
And then there is the ever-so-dominating my-brain-just-had-another-idea issue that interrupts.

You were the one who taught me the benefits of an in-game editor. Thanks for that. Smiley

Man that filter is bad-ass! I'd love to be able to utilize such a thing for Tiny Dungeon.
Maybe you could give me the nitty gritty details on how to implement that effect?

OK, going to try to work on this some more today.

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:11:55 PM »

OK, got collision detection with the dungeon implemented.
Added the ability to place the player correctly in the editor.
Added load/save capabilities to the editor.

Productive. Cool

Much more to do still, but its coming along slowly. Cheesy

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:13:54 PM »

Working on this little project some more today.

Added the ability to collect the Keys from the dungeon. Smiley

Now.. to implement the magic portals... Roll Eyes

Mattias Gustavsson

Respect: 58
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »

Man that filter is bad-ass! I'd love to be able to utilize such a thing for Tiny Dungeon.
Maybe you could give me the nitty gritty details on how to implement that effect?

Sure - but it's still in the early stages, and far from being possible to run at real-time speed. Just like with my other retro filter, I've started out with just experimenting with some rather slow image manipulation code, with the intention to reduce it down to a fast shader version once it is done. The basic idea here, is that I've extracted about a dozen green dots from photographs of real monochrome CRT screens, and for each pixel in the source image, I pick a random one and put it down on the output image. Then, I just scale it down a bit (which makes everything blend together nicely) and apply a slight distortion to the whole thing, making it curve a bit like if it was displayed on an old screen.

I'm not sure yet how to do a fast version of it, but if I come up with anything, I'll let you know!
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »

Got to working on this again after work today a little bit.

I got magic portals working, keys & doors working in-game.
The editor now tells you where portals will launch the player when walked on. This will make puzzle design easier. Cool

Now I need to add the Wizards to the game...

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 08:13:37 PM »

Much to my surprise, I managed to get the Wizards walking around the map.

Current AI:

Wizards walk in the direction they are facing until they hit a wall.
Upon hitting the wall, they turn to the right.

Later I'll update this to make them a bit more intelligent, but for now this creates an interesting demo.
I might make wizards hold the keys so you must kill them to collect some keys..but that would require making a more advanced editor..and that is not on my todo list for now. Cool

I'm enjoying this project.
Next up, giving the player the ability to attack, then the wizards get a chance to attack the player, and then....I think its game map design time and then ready to put out the first release.

Anyone who wants to beta test this game, or create some levels for the final game should send me a PM here.

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 07:25:33 PM »

Another update! Cool

• player may attack in the direction the player is facing
  • lightning bolt travels until it hits a wall or a wizard
  • lightning bolts will go through magic portals and exit in the same direction (covert wizard kills! cool!)

Really nifty side effect:

Placing portals such that you can fire into one portal, and the bolt travels into another and then back into the original..makes for an awesome endless reaction of the magical mirror effect where you can catch wizards in a trap.

Now to go work on the wizards attacking the player...

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »

And yet another update! Cool
  • wizards can "see" up to four tiles in front of them
  • wizards cannot see through walls or doors
  • wizards will attack if you cross their line-of-sight
  • wizards throw fireballs that travel in a straight line
  • fireballs continue until they hit the player or a wall

OK, time to work on health, scoring, and then the UI/menus.

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »

Three updates in one day! woo I'm on a roll! Grin

The magic portals no longer instantly warp the player to the portal destination tile. (which made the game a little confusing since you had no idea where it would let you "out" the portal)

Now, when the player steps on a magic portal tile, the player is unable to control the player while portaling.
The player will be automatically moved to the portal destination, however the player is not rendered normally.

When rendering the player, I draw either horizontal or vertical "slices" of the player image, which makes it appear as if you are in another dimension (the portal vortex) and your form is no longer on the physical plane of existence.
It looks rather cool I think! Cheesy

I'll have some video footage up in the near future.

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »

Tech Demo #1

Watch on YouTube

Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »

Another update. Cool

• restructured the entire project source code to make expansion easier and to aid myself in the ever-so-chaotic development schedule
  • updated the editor to allow "click & drag" drawing of tiles instead of needing to press and release the mouse button to place tiles.
  • updated the editor to be able to remove placed wizards and magic portals from the map
  • added "Shadow World" to the game play (see below)
  • implemented a simple fast bitmap-based font rendering system (not in use just yet, but will be used in all game UI)

The Shadow World of Tiny Dungeon:

The druid that you take control of in the game possesses the ability to shift in and out of an alternate plane of existence called the Shadow World.

In this alternate plane you are invisible to the wizards that guard the ultimate power that you seek.
However, there are drawbacks to shifting into the Shadow World.
  • Every step that you take will hurt you (reduce your health) so you must use this ability sparingly.
  • You cannot collect nor see any keys while in the Shadow World.
  • You cannot use nor see any magic portals while in the Shadow World.
  • You cannot attack while in the Shadow World (though there is nothing for you to attack either)
  • Shifting into the Shadow World requires 50% mana, and shifting back to the normal world requires at least 25% mana.
  • If you do not have enough mana to shift out of the Shadow World, you are trapped there, and you must kill yourself to start the dungeon over.

I think that the Shadow World looks really cool. I'll have another demo video once I get the game's UI finished.

mds-mu
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:31 PM »

woah this is looking pretty neat  Shocked
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: