NOGDUS $1670.00 has been donated to NOGDUS!
August 19, 2017, 09:53:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2718 times)
kornflake
Hi
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:38:48 AM »

Thank you for the opportunity to join your forum. I found myself here while researching colleges in New Orleans for my son. I look forward to browsing the topics and gaining helpful information.  Grin   
Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:22:45 AM »

Hello, and welcome!

I will have our Art Director post some resources for you and your son shortly.
If you have any particular topics which your son is interested in, I may be able to help you find suitable educational materials.

Rachel Marks
Administrator

Respect: 70
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:06:36 AM »

Hi Tina,

I'm the Art Director for BBAStudios and am a full time freelance artist located in the New Orleans area.

I can't personally recommend any colleges for your son since this is a specialized field. Most of the art institutes in the area won't cover what he needs in order to break into the industry. That's not to say there aren't any local courses he could take that would help him. Anything involving life drawing would be a huge benefit and a background in traditional art and the fundamentals are something that studios look for in their artists.
That said, from my own experience and that of many other professionals, getting a degree in fine arts isn't an action that would be worth the time and investment.

I'm not sure what area of game art your son is interested in, but here are some sites that offer courses and workshops from industry leaders.

If he has an interest in 3D I'd suggest checking out CGSociety-
http://workshops.cgsociety.org/index.php?force_frontpage=1

For illustration and conceptual art I'd go to TAD-
http://theartdepartment.org/

And Schoolism has some well rounded courses covering a wide range of mediums and subject matter. They also offer self taught courses-
http://schoolism.com/

You wouldn't receive any kind of degree or accreditation from these sources so if that is important to you, they might not be the best options. They would, however, give him the skills he needs (given he puts the work in).

I am personally a fully self-taught artist. I did attend college, but do not have an art degree. I've had no issue getting work because my portfolio speaks for itself.

In almost every case a studio will look at the artist's portfolio first, their experience next, and their credentials last. If the artist does not have the skill and a portfolio to show they can do the work none of the rest matters. A skilled yet uneducated artist will get the job over an artist with a degree or certificate.

This does depend, to a degree, on what he's looking to do. Game and level designers are usually expected to have a degree or certification of some sort.

I think the best course of action would be to go to the local game studios and see what they would expect from their applicants. There are a few that are popping up locally recently. Most recent to my knowledge is GameLoft.

You can find their information here-
http://www.jobsinnola.com/new/index.html
and even contact talent management through their site to get an idea of what they are looking for and what they expect to see from their artists.

If you decide to go with the traditional approach and try a school first you should be very careful in choosing the institute. Make sure you both go over the course work, what the classes are, what subjects are actually covered, what the prerequisites are, how many credits he'll need and the hours required to get them, what states the school is actually accredited in, and speak to the professors. Most importantly speak to graduates and see how they are fairing. If they're more than 3 years out of college and they are jobless, that is not a good sign. Also see if they feel that the commitment was worth it.

I have other online sources where professionals are offering classes and one on one tutoring so let me know if that is something you'd be interested in and I'll get them to you.

Sorry that I cannot recommend any local education for him.

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
-C. S. Lewis
Rachel Marks
Administrator

Respect: 70
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 02:21:04 AM »

Also, I forgot to mention that looking into business courses is a good idea. Most artists get screwed over a lot during their noob days because they don't know the value of their work, don't know how to market it or themselves, don't understand copyright law, the rights attached to their work or how to sell them, or how to deal with or write contracts.

As a freelance artist I'm a business woman first and an artist second.

Even if you are working with studio instead of for yourself, you need a good understanding of the business side of things.

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
-C. S. Lewis
kornflake
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 02:18:18 AM »

I appreciate the information and it makes complete sense. I have my son (Tory) looking into the links you provided. I'm sure it will benefit him in his areas of interest.

Tina Abshire
Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:28:35 AM »

I'd like to wish your son the best of luck in his endeavors.
Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: