NOGDUS $1670.00 has been donated to NOGDUS!
September 23, 2017, 12:22:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chu Chu Artwork  (Read 12626 times)
Twinja
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »

Here is something I made for the Chu Chu Mail Order game I just released. I have not implemented the artwork yet, but it should come in one of our updates.
Richard Marks
Administrator

Respect: 3425
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:16:10 AM »

The overly blurry background does not suit the composition. The character appears to be created traditionally rather than digitally, and it throws off the piece entirely.
Either create a background using the same medium as the character, or vice versa.

Twinja
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »

So much for being new and inventive, but thanks for the feedback. I was intending to make a sort of 'Paper Mario' effect. A mix of mediums. The pen lines were adjusted to be a bit lighter than just a straight-black. My intention was for the character to stand out from the background. However, I do understand what you are saying, and artwork is always left to the interpretation of the viewer.
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. And you're right about art being subject to interpretation.

Twinja
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »

Its OK, I didn't take offense to it. I guess what I'm asking is: what do you think about the color? I was going for sort-of a pastel look for the character's color. I do understand what you are saying, and again, I do appreciate the comment(s).
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »

I like the character's design and coloring.

Twinja
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »

That's kinda why I responded that way at first. I've had no real professional experience in any art or animation industry. I'm finding, having read and watched several articles and videos on game development, there is a recurring theme. Experts will say 'no one should expect to compete with games such as Call of Duty, Street Fighter, etc' ; the kinds of games people return to consistently.

(This post may be better suited to a different board, please forgive me.)
I find for this reason it is hard to be 'original' in the broad sense. Being original isn't hard as I've looked at several others' artwork and attempts to make games on this site. But people generally overlook that which they are not so familiar with. I'm referring more to the general philosophy in business as it applies to game-making.

On that note, would you say there is some sort of 'equation' to being more successful in your opinion as to what makes a game more playable? Or, in what way do you view making a game? On that note, would you have any projects in mind you would be working on, in need of an artist for?  If so, what would your requirements be?
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:32:53 PM »

Experts will say 'no one should expect to compete with games such as Call of Duty, Street Fighter, etc' ; the kinds of games people return to consistently.

For anyone that is just starting out, trying to compete with results that required teams of people many years to achieve will usually end in failure. There are exceptions to every rule, however, so do not be discouraged. Work hard, and always provide your best and accept whatever that best may be at any one time. With experience, your skills will improve and your best will be better than before. The cycle will continue as long as you put effort into what you are trying to accomplish.

(This post may be better suited to a different board, please forgive me.)
I find for this reason it is hard to be 'original' in the broad sense. Being original isn't hard as I've looked at several others' artwork and attempts to make games on this site. But people generally overlook that which they are not so familiar with. I'm referring more to the general philosophy in business as it applies to game-making.

On that note, would you say there is some sort of 'equation' to being more successful in your opinion as to what makes a game more playable? Or, in what way do you view making a game? On that note, would you have any projects in mind you would be working on, in need of an artist for?  If so, what would your requirements be?

In my opinion, you must create something you enjoy in order to be successful. If you only work on things that you think others will enjoy, however you do not, then you're more likely to fail.
There is no equation, no written-in-stone solution to being successful, and certainly no way to make everyone happy. Find what you enjoy, and focus your efforts on that. Odds are, there are others that will share your same interests and you will find yourself the success which you worked hard for.

I cannot afford to provide monetary compensation for any artwork at this time, however, if you would like to contribute towards a project for the experience and credit, you could submit some things to me via my studio's email address: contactbbastudiosatgmaildotcom
One project of ours which is in development and will require a great deal of work is a rather large traditional RPG which goes by the name of "ProjectDT" or "DT" while in development (think console RPGs such as Final Fantasy, Tales series, Star Ocean, etc...) and we need environment and monster concept work done. Pretty much anything goes at this point, as we're mostly looking for a "style" with which to bring the game to life.

Twinja
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »

I took a look at your project site, I didn't get much info as the main project page was under construction. Having had some experience of my own it seems countless number of hours/days/months will inevitably be spent working on the story-mechanics-character-monster side of things. Correct me if I am mistaken, you are looking for someone to create a world for your game? I'm sure you have a basic story to go on? Or is this why you are looking for writers? I am well aware what goes into a game, I'm trying to get a grasp of where you are in the process and what gaps need filling.
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »

I took a look at your project site, I didn't get much info as the main project page was under construction.

Roll Eyes

Where exactly did you find a project site? Because there is not any site which we have put up for the project that may be reached from a public address, and if it IS related to our project, then it is breaking our NDA. I need the link you found immediately.

Twinja
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »

I'm sorry, I didn't contact BBAStudios email. I Goggle'd the name and it came with what I assumed was one of your pages.  I found lots of smaller games, but no information on the project we're referring to.  I hope I didn't cause too much commotion.  I've had a heavy schedule lately, I probably won't post again until this weekend.  Hope that cleared some stuff up.
Richard Marks
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »

Okay, we have a facebook page, an old blog on blogspot, and our official site is bangbangattackstudios.com
I was confused about your statement of the page being under construction, as none of our pages are "under construction".

Twinja
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 03:06:40 AM »

Again, sorry bout that.  I looked up BBAStudios, I found something apparently not related to your project.  I did however, end up at the Bang Bang Studios site.  Good job so far, I say.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: